Featured: Why I don’t believe in empathic design
Don Norman on why he’s not convinced by the current obsession with empathy and what we should do instead.
News, resources, tools and tutorials
- Touch targets on touchscreens (blog post – nngroup.com)
- How do You test success criterion 1.3.5 on mobile applications? (blog post – developer.paciellogroup.com)
- Why, how, and when to use semantic HTML and ARIA (blog post – css-tricks.com)
- Number of people with vision disabilities to triple by 2050: Study (blog post – globalaccessibilitynews.com)
- Some accessibility resources (blog post – scottohara.me)
- Empathise by experience with accessibility (blog post – uxdesign.cc)
- What we learned about doing accessibility research on the NHS website (blog post – medium.com/we-are-margot)
- Alphabet of Accessibility deck (resource – thegamecrafter.com)
- How to write effective user personas for a diverse audience (blog post – mindtheproduct.com)
- Trans-inclusive design (blog post – alistapart.com)
- Google just added closed captioning to everything on your phone (blog post – fastcompany.com)
- What’s the worst piece of accessibility advice you’ve ever given? (Twitter thread – mindtheproduct.com)
- I wrote the book on user-friendly design. What I see today horrifies me (blog post – fastcompany.com)
New to A11y
Did you know that Global Accessibility Awareness Day happens this week? On May 16th to be exact. Check out the website to learn more about what’s happening and how to participate in the day’s activities.
Suggestions and corrections
Have a suggestion for something to be included in Accessibility Weekly? Did I make a mistake that doesn't belong on the Internet? You can either reply to this email or send a note to email@example.com.
Sponsorships and donations
You can sponsor Accessibility Weekly! If you or your company is interested, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoy the newsletter, consider making a donation.