Featured: Playing with State
Sarah Higley tackles the seemingly simple concept of a play/pause toggle button and shows how it can get unexpectedly complex.
Read Playing with state.
News, resources, tools and tutorials
- Creating online environments that work well for older users (blog post – smashingmagazine.com)
- The evolution of Material Design’s text fields (blog post – medium.com/google-design)
- Understanding Domino’s v Robles (blog post – georgemauer.net)
- What I’ve learned about accessibility in SPAs (blog post – nolanlawson.com)
- Supporting the design phase with accessibility heuristics evaluations (blog post – deque.com)
- Hospital algorithms are biased against black patients, New research shows (blog post – onezero.medium.com)
- New CSS for styling underlines on the web (video – youtube.com)
- Inclusive design and accessibility: Live stream with Heydon Pickering (video – smashingmagazine.com)
- aria-label does not translate (blog post – adrianroselli.com)
- Videos of people with disabilities using tech (blog post – axesslab.com)
New to A11y
Benjy Stanton has put together a nice accessibility checklist that you’ll find helpful. Accessibility is more than a checklist for sure, but dive into one of these topics every two weeks, and you’ll learn a lot fast.
Suggestions and corrections
Have a suggestion for something to be included in Accessibility Weekly? Did I make a mistake that doesn't belong on the Internet? You can either reply to this email or send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsorships and donations
You can sponsor Accessibility Weekly! If you or your company is interested, send a note to email@example.com.
If you enjoy the newsletter, consider making a donation.