Featured: Windows 10 anniversary update for Microsoft Edge
Microsoft released a big update for Edge recently. It became the first browser to score a perfect 100 percent on HTML5Accessibility.com.
News and links
Windows 10 still free for assistive technology users: From the post, “Microsoft gave away the upgrade to Windows 10 for a full year. Now most users will pay as much as $199 for a copy of the popular operating system. However, if you’re an assistive technology user, there is good news. You can still get it for free.”
Care about digital access? The U.S. government wants to know: From the post, “The United States Department of Justice needs to hear that web accessibility regulations matter to disabled people. Can you help?”
BBC tests live-stream captions on iPlayer, setting it ahead of many U.S. digital video providers: From the post, " [The video service] could have a feature that no other major OTT provider has: subtitles on live-streamed content."
Resources, tools and tutorials
- Lessons from building mobile-friendly, accessible data tables (blog post)
- ARIA Bookmarklet for Testing (tool)
- A11ycasts (video podcast)
- 10 rules for efficient form design (blog post)
- Facebook’s blind engineer: ‘Your life matters’ (news story)
- Cloud accessibility and the changing dream (blog post)
- Getting started with Narrator (documentation)
- Accessibility for the masses (blog post)
New to A11y
Keep it Usable explains how to keep users in focus when it comes to accessibility.
Suggestions and corrections
Have a suggestion for something to be included in Accessibility Weekly? Did I make a mistake that doesn't belong on the Internet? You can either reply to this email or send a note to email@example.com.
Sponsorships and donations
You can sponsor Accessibility Weekly!. If you or your company is interested, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoy the newsletter, consider making a donation.