Featured: WAI-ARIA screen reader compatibility
Once you get past the first rule of ARIA is to not use ARIA, this resource could prove handy. PowerMapper Software has put together a list of ARIA and screen reader compatibility tables, just recently updated.
Read more in WAI-ARIA screen reader compatibility.
News and links
Accessibility Boston 2016 registration open: This year’s annual event will be held on Saturday, October 1, 2016, at the Cambridge IBM Innovation Center, from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Facebook’s autoplaying audio could be a huge issue for users with disabilities: From the article, “Facebook is beginning to test autoplaying videos that start with the audio on by default.”
Resources, tools and tutorials
- A few HTML tips (blog post)
- aria-controls is poop (blog post)
- How to Build WAI-ARIA Modal Alert Dialogs: A11y Support Series (Part 2) (blog post)
- Contrast analysis widget (tool)
- Marking up help text in forms (resource)
- What is focus? (video)
- Accessible solutions (resource/code examples)
- The New Rules of Form Design (blog post)
- Web accessibility hacker way (blog post)
New to A11y
Google has put together a free, six-week course on web accessibility, focused on developing with empathy, and it’s free on Udacity.
Suggestions and corrections
Have a suggestion for something to be included in Accessibility Weekly? Did I make a mistake that doesn't belong on the Internet? You can either reply to this email or send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsorships and donations
You can sponsor Accessibility Weekly! If you or your company is interested, send a note to email@example.com.
If you enjoy the newsletter, consider making a donation.