Featured: Alt vs figcaption
Elaina Natario goes in depth on writing image descriptions with two HTML elements. These items house very different writing patterns, and can be used both together and apart, depending on the conditions.
Read Alt vs figcaption.
News, resources, tools and tutorials
- More accessible skeletons (blog post – adrianroselli.com)
- How are web standards born? (video – youtube.com)
- A plan for accessible maps (blog post – benjystanton.co.uk)
- Weaving web accessibility with usability (blog post – smashingmagazine.com
- Rendering spectrum (blog post – css-tricks.com)
- DWP accessibility manual (resource – accessibility-manual.dwp.gov.uk)
- A placeholder is not a label (blog post – htmhell.dev)
New to A11y?
Many web advent calendars kicked off last week, and will continue for the month of December. For the accessibility minded, check out A11y Advent from Hugo Giraudel, focused on accessibility tips. Plus, Ginny and Tonic’s Accessible Advent from Ginny Butcher, sharing one thing that would make her life more accessible as a visually impaired person.
Suggestions and corrections
Have a suggestion for something to be included in Accessibility Weekly? Did I make a mistake that doesn't belong on the Internet? You can either reply to this email or send a note to email@example.com.
Sponsorships and donations
You can sponsor Accessibility Weekly!. If you or your company is interested, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoy the newsletter, consider making a donation.