Featured: How to do web accessibility QA
Viget has put together a series on performing web accessibility quality assurance testing, centered on understanding a few foundational concepts.
News and links
Access Board approves rules on ICT refresh: From the post, “The ICT rule updates standards issued under Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act that apply to electronic and information technology procured by the federal government, including computer hardware and software, websites, multimedia such as video, phone systems, and copiers.”
Welcome to HTML 5.2: From the post, “On the 21st of June 2016, HTML 5.1 has turned from being a Working Draft into a Candidate Recommendation. As you might know, this is the second step of the process that turns proposals into the standards that affect our lives daily when developing for the web. Because it has become a Candidate Recommendation, HTML 5.1 is a document that W3C believes has been widely reviewed and satisfies the Working Group’s technical requirements.”
Resources, tools and tutorials
- Reducing cognitive overload for A better user experience (blog post)
- The colors used by the ten most popular sites (blog post)
- Five key accessibility trends in North American education (blog post)
- Why we use progressive enhancement to build GOV.UK (blog post)
- Microsoft Design: Creating Digital Systems (video)
- Unit testing accessibility (blog post)
- For Engineers: A Self-Paced Training Roadmap for Learning ARIA (blog post)
- Google HTML/CSS style guide (tool)
- Accessibility Camp New York City: videos (videos)
- The ultimate guide to web content accessibility (blog post)
New to A11y
Web accessibility starts with the basics. When you need to trigger an action, just use button.
Suggestions and corrections
Have a suggestion for something to be included in Accessibility Weekly? Did I make a mistake that doesn't belong on the Internet? You can either reply to this email or send a note to email@example.com.
Sponsorships and donations
You can sponsor Accessibility Weekly!. If you or your company is interested, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoy the newsletter, consider making a donation.