Featured: Flexbox and the screen reader experience
WebAIM’s John Northup reminds you that when it comes to screen readers, flexbox isn’t dangerous, but that it is powerful.
Read more of Flexbox and the screen reader experience.
News, resources, tools and tutorials
- Ethical Design Resources (resource – ethicaldesignresources.com
- Two US government agencies warn about hiring technology that discriminates against disabled applicants (blog post - lflegal.com)
- React Native accessibility - GAAD 2022 update (blog post - reactnative.dev)
- ATAG: The standard for accessibility of content creation (blog post - hidde.blog)
- Interview with Léonie Watson (blog post - inklusiv.ca)
- Inclusive design 101 (blog post - uxdesign.cc)
- Writing useful alt text (blog post - css-irl.info)
- Why does accessibility matter? (podcast - smashingmagazine.com)
- SwiftUI and accessibility: Goodies and gotchas, part 2 (blog post - deque.com)
- Keyboard-only scrolling areas (blog post - adrianroselli.com)
- Top seven free color contrast checkers and analyzers (blog post - axesslab.com)
- Screen readers and drag-and-drop, part 1: Draggable elements (blog post - darins.page)
New to A11y?
Stephanie Hill has gathered some useful resources when it comes to designing for accessibility as part of comms planning you might find helpful. Often, when we think of accessibility, we go into the technical parts of the topic. That’s why I like the two links that cover video transscripts and web content here. Those every day things help make a more accessible web much faster than whether you’re approaching ARIA in the right way.
Suggestions and corrections
Have a suggestion for something to be included in Accessibility Weekly? Did I make a mistake that doesn't belong on the Internet? You can either reply to this email or send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsorships and donations
You can sponsor Accessibility Weekly! If you or your company is interested, send a note to email@example.com.
If you enjoy the newsletter, consider making a donation.