Featured: Don’t overwrite visual labels with aria-label
“The aria-label property can be extremely useful when used correctly. When used incorrectly, it can wreak havoc on speech-input user experiences.”
Read more of Don’t overwrite visual labels with aria-label.
News, resources, tools and tutorials
- Focus appearance explained (blog post - tempertemper.net)
- 2.4.11 Focus Appearance adds more complexity to WCAG than we should want (blog post - hidde.blog)
- aria-description crash course (blog post - darins.page)
- Testing web design color contrast (blog post – web.dev)
- Earth, Wind and Fire accessibility PSA videos (video – youtube.com/c/CrystalPrestonWatson)
- A deep dive into WCAG 2.2. and beyond (podcast - relay.fm/parallel)
- Yes, accessibility is also a backend concern (blog post - ericwbailey.website)
- Unconscious biases that get in the way of inclusive design (blog post - smashingmagazine.com)
- Accessibility insights with Heather Dowdy of Netflix (webinar - abilitynet-org-uk.zoom.us)
- Attitudes to digital accessibility survey 2022 (survey - abilitynet.org.uk)
New to A11y?
If you’re new to the accessibility arena, Estelle Weyl and Carie Fisher have some content for you. Estelle wrote Learn HTML and Carie created Learn accessibility. Each course includes several modules already with more to launch in the future. Both of these promise to help form the foundation of your accessibility knowledge.
Suggestions and corrections
Have a suggestion for something to be included in Accessibility Weekly? Did I make a mistake that doesn't belong on the Internet? You can either reply to this email or send a note to email@example.com.
Sponsorships and donations
You can sponsor Accessibility Weekly! If you or your company is interested, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoy the newsletter, consider making a donation.