Featured: The web needs a native .visually-hidden
“This snippet of styles works really well, and has been iterated upon and vetted by accessibility practitioners over the years. However, it would be a big win for the web to have a native HTML or CSS technique, no copypasta required, to visually hide elements while still exposing them to assistive technologies.”
Read more of The web needs a native .visually-hidden.
Sponsored: Sponsored: Axe-con Speaker Spotlight - Jutta Treviranus
Meet Jutta Treviranus (YouTube video), Founder and Director of the Inclusive Design Research Center, before she opens the Wildcard Track at axe-con 2023!
Jutta will be talking about “Preparing Accessibility for the Future and the Present” - how potential barriers and risks are propagating and morphing as the accessibility field is growing. She’ll discuss what is the role of accessibility in escalating deployment of AI and the emergence of new virtual worlds.
All sessions are recorded and registration is free.
News, resources, tools and tutorials
- Keys to an accessibility mindset (blog post - smashingmagazine.com)
- App accessibility: Commonly overlooked accessibility practices for mobile apps (blog post - bootcamp.uxdesign.cc)
- #AudioEye will get you sued (blog post - adrianroselli.com)
- Is it a bad idea to use target=“_blank” for links in an email? (blog post – badsender.com)
- A guide to accessible form validation (blog post – smashingmagazine.com)
- The overlay personalization farce (blog post – karlgroves.com)
- How a minimum viable experience produces a resilient, inclusive end-product (blog post - andy-bell.co.uk)
- Senator Markey demands Musk reinstate Twitter’s accessibility team, online features for users with disabilities (press release - markey.senate.gov)
- The WebAIM strategic accessibility framework (resource – webaim.org)
- Screen reader, keyboard, and zoom testing (blog post - blog.pope.tech)
- How Shadow DOM and accessibility are in conflict (blog post – alice.pages.igalia.com)
- Long overdue report shows deficient accessibility for many Federal websites (blog post - adatitleiii.com)
- Are you making these five mistakes when writing alt text? (blog post – liamodell.com)
- Legal update: February 2023 (blog post – convergeaccessibility.com)
- Inclusive Design 24 Call for presentations (event – inclusivedesign24.org)
New to A11y
People around the world are mourning the loss of disability rights activist Judy Heumann. Called the “the mother” of the disability rights movement in the United States, Heumann played a part in disability legislation, wrote a popular memior and was featured in a Netflix documentary. It’s important to learn from those who have carved a path for the rest of us in the accessibility field.
Suggestions and corrections
Have a suggestion for something to be included in Accessibility Weekly? Did I make a mistake that doesn't belong on the Internet? You can either reply to this email or send a note to email@example.com.
Sponsorships and donations
You can sponsor Accessibility Weekly! If you or your company is interested, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoy the newsletter, consider making a donation.