Featured: The complementary image
Describing images on the Web stands out as one of the basic skills of accessibility. But Scott Vinkle tries to answer the question, what happens when none of the proven techniques help describe your image context?
Read The complementary image.
News, resources, tools and tutorials
- Alexa is a revelation for the blind (blog post)
- Accessible American Chopper meme (code)
- Buttons shouldn’t have a hand cursor: Part 2 (blog post)
- Accessibility forums roundup (blog post)
- Non-Text contrast and the new Amex logo (blog post)
- Wikipedia link preview (blog post)
- Nyle DiMarco opens up about having to leave Black Panther because he’s deaf (blog post)
New to A11y
Sarah Higley gives a talk at NebraskaJS Conference 2017 all about keyboard accessibility and why it matters. Keyboard accessibility is one of my favorite areas to point beginners to first. Why? Because it’s usually where I start first if I’m dealing with a wildly inaccessible site.
Suggestions and corrections
Have a suggestion for something to be included in Accessibility Weekly? Did I make a mistake that doesn't belong on the Internet? You can either reply to this email or send a note to email@example.com.
Sponsorships and donations
You can sponsor Accessibility Weekly! If you or your company is interested, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoy the newsletter, consider making a donation.