Featured: Don’t use the placeholder attribute
Eric Bailey explains the troubles with the placeholder attribute and when you need to stop using it.
News, resources, tools and tutorials
- Considerations when writing alt text (blog post – ux.shopify.com)
- Firefox makers working on voice-controlled web browser called Scout (blog post – cnet.com)
- Creating the UK government’s accessibility empathy lab (blog post – gds.blog.gov.uk)
- Minister Duncan introduces the proposed Accessible Canada Act (news release – canada.ca)
- Podcast Accessibility (resource – podcast-accessibility.com)
- Google renames TalkBack app to Android Accessibility Suite with latest update (blog post – 9to5google.com)
- Empower through web development (blog post – css-tricks.com)
New to A11y
Accessibility starts with the foundation of all web development: HTML. Learn how HTML impacts accessibility in this MDN web docs article on the topic. It touches on semantics, keyboard accessibility and more, perfect topics for someone new to this area.
Suggestions and corrections
Have a suggestion for something to be included in Accessibility Weekly? Did I make a mistake that doesn't belong on the Internet? You can either reply to this email or send a note to email@example.com.
Sponsorships and donations
You can sponsor Accessibility Weekly! If you or your company is interested, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoy the newsletter, consider making a donation.